JOAN DE JOANES ALTARPIECE

Our Lady’s Natitity Church (whose enlargement finished in 1737) contains the altarpiece, which the famous Spanish Renaissance painter, Vicent Juan Massip (1523-1579) and known under the pseudonym Joan de Joanes, painted in the 16th C. In the Plaza Mayor (main square) we can also find a monument to the painter made in marble by the sculptor Nassio macael Bayarri in 1956 which is now an ornamental fountain of a great importance in town. According to oral tradition, Juan de Juane’s birthplace is located next to the “Casa Abadia”. This house is considereda historical monument and it was there where General souchet decided the withdrawal of French troops in 1814.